The Grasshopper is a delightful dessert-like cocktail, perfect for any time of the day. It’s sweet and minty with a pretty green color. Creme de menthe, white creme de cacao, and heavy cream are the magical ingredients and even though it’s pretty low on alcohol and looks like a milkshake, it will leave you tipsy and wanting more.
From what we know, The Grasshopper originated in the French Quarter in New Orleans, Louisiana back in 1918, (which makes it one of the oldest desert cocktails) and its creator was a bar owner by the name of Philip Guichet. The recipe is quite simple – shake equal parts of creme de menthe, creme de cacao, and heavy cream and strain into a chilled cocktail glass. Easy-peasy. You can of course always add more of something if you feel like it, and it won’t be wrong. And if you’re feeling naughty, try adding a bit of vodka, what’s the worst that can happen… 😀
Now don’t just stand there… make one yourself and tell us what you think. 😉
On the list of IBA Official Cocktails.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of creme de menthe.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of white creme de cacao.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of heavy cream.
- Garnish – you can rim the glass with grated nutmeg, or chocolate sauce, or you can sprinkle something on top.
- Add ingredients (creme de menthe, white creme de cacao, and heavy cream) to a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
- Garnish and enjoy.