Sex on the Beach – recipe, and guide
Sex on the Beach is that fun highball cocktail with the provocative name. Made with peach schnapps, orange juice, vodka, and cranberry juice, it’s actually 2 cocktails combined into one. Peach schnapps + orange juice is “Fuzzy Navel” and vodka + cranberry juice is called “Cape Codder”.
There is a story about the cocktail being created in 1987 at Confetti’s Bar in Florida as a part of a promotion for peach schnapps. Bartender Ted Pizio made the fruity concoction and named it after the 2 reasons he thought people were visiting the area – sex and beaches. The story is very cool and quite believable, however, Sex on the Beach was already in the 1982 “American Bartenders School Guide to Drinks.”
During the 1980s and 1990s, it was a mainstream drink and was on every cocktail menu and it’s still a very popular drink at beach bars and a favorite among tourists.
There are some minor variations of the cocktail where pineapple juice replaces orange juice, grenadine instead of cranberry juice, and some recipes call for a small amount of creme de cassis, but that is optional. As long as you’re using fresh juice, you won’t go wrong. Pick your favorite version of the cocktail and enjoy it at the beach, or your home with friends.
On the list of IBA Official Cocktails.
- 2 Ounces (60 ml) of vodka.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of peach schnapps.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) crème de cassis – optional.
- 2 Ounces (60 ml) orange juice – freshly squeezed.
- 2 Ounces (60 ml) cranberry juice.
- orange slice, a cocktail cherry, and a cocktail umbrella for garnish.
The way we make Sex on the Beach:
- Add vodka, peach schnapps, and orange juice into a cocktail shaker.
- Fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into a highball or a hurricane glass filled with ice.
- Slowly pour cranberry juice so it forms a layer.
- Garnish with an orange slice, cocktail cherry, and a cocktail umbrella.
One thought on “Sex on the Beach – recipe, and guide”
You designed some great details there. I did a lookup on the issue and found most persons will approve using your weblog.