The Old Fashioned is a legendary cocktail. It’s as classic as they come. But let us introduce you to his younger sibling – the Rum Old Fashioned. It may not be what you’re used to, but it’s definitely a must-try.
Following the classic recipe (spirit, sugar, water, and bitters), this brilliant variation of a classic cocktail uses a different spirit, and it’s just as good.
The Rum Old Fashioned, as you can tell has rum instead of whiskey and you probably wonder how would this work, since rum is a spirit best used in fruity, tropical cocktails, but it does… You just need some of your favorite dark rum, a bit of demerara syrup, 2 types of bitters (Angostura and orange), and of course the proper garnish.
Demerara syrup is just a Simple syrup made with Demerara sugar, which is a large-grain type of sugar that is brown and richer in flavor.
- 2 Ounces (60 ml) of dark rum.
- A teaspoon of demerara syrup.
- 2-3 dashes Angostura bitters.
- 2-3 dashes of orange bitters.
- Orange peel, orange slice, and cherry are all a good garnish.
- You can build it straight in your Old Fashioned glass, or you can use a mixing glass.
- Add the rum, followed by the syrup and bitters.
- Now put some ice. (A single large ice cube would be best, but few smaller ones would also do the job), and stir well.
- Now it’s time for the garnish. You could use an orange peel as you would with the classic Old Fashioned cocktail. Or you could go with an orange slice and maybe throw in a cherry if you have some.
- Last but not least… Enjoy.