The Old Cuban is a very interesting cocktail created by the New York bartending legend and one of the best bartenders in the world, Audrey Saunders, known for her work in the Pegu Club. Saunders created the Old Cuban in 2001, which makes it a fairly modern cocktail. Inspired by the Mojito and French 75 this cocktail is unique in its own way. Old Cuban features aged rum, fresh mint, lime juice, simple syrup, Angostura bitters, and Champagne. Shake it nicely and strain into a cocktail glass. You will love it. Saunders is a genius known for re-inventing classic cocktails, like the Gin Gin Mule (a mix of Mojito and Moscow Mule with gin).
Rum cocktails are always good, and this one is a prefect example. 😉
On the list of IBA Official Cocktails.
- 1 ½ Ounce (45 ml) of aged rum.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of simple syrup.
- Fresh mint leaves.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) of freshly squeezed lime juice.
- 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters.
- In a cocktail shaker, muddle 6-8 mint leaves with sugar syrup and lime juice.
- Add the rum, bitters, and ice and shake well.
- Double strain into a chilled coupe glass and top with a dash of champagne.
- Garnish with a mint sprig and enjoy.