Lemon Drop is a classic vodka-based cocktail and on the list of “IBA Official Cocktails.” This simple mix of vodka, lemon juice, simple syrup, and orange liqueur is delicious and refreshing and you can enjoy it any day of the year. Shaken and strained into a chilled cocktail glass, this drink is often described as a variation of Vodka Martini, which we don’t really agree with…
There are no secret ingredients or techniques to worry about, and all components are easy to find. The only thing you need to remember is to always use freshly squeezed lemon juice for the best results.
The birthplace of the Lemon Drop is San Francisco in the 70s and the inventor’s name is Norman Jay Hobday, who was a Vietnam veteran, turned bar owner. The cocktail was such a hit, you could find it in every bar from San Fran to Bangkok.
Even though the Lemon Drop usually comes in a chilled cocktail glass with a sugar rim, you can also find it as a shot in nightclubs and college parties.
- 2 Ounces (60 ml) of vodka. (citrus-flavored vodka would be perfect, but any will do).
- ½ Ounce (15 ml) of Triple sec or Cointreau.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- 1 Ounce (30 ml) simple syrup.
- Sugar rim and lemon twist as a garnish.
- Get a cocktail shaker and add all the ingredients.
- Fill with ice and shake well.
- Strain into your prepared cocktail glass.