The Harvey Wallbanger is a fairly modern highball cocktail made with vodka, Galliano (a sweet, herbal Italian liqueur), and orange juice. Basically, a Screwdriver with the addition of the Galliano liqueur.
There is a cool story that says, the Harvey Wallbanger was born in the 50s, in California, and the creator was the famous 3 times world champion mixologist Donato “Duke” Antone, who named the drink after a surfer (Tom Harvey) who was frequently at his Blackwatch Bar in Los Angeles. Apparently one night Tom got so drunk, he started running into the walls, hence the cocktail’s name. Fun story. Unfortunately, we can’t say if it’s actually true. According to the American journalist and author Robert Simonson, it isn’t. Simonson claims Antone wasn’t even living in LA during the period, and that there is no historical record for any Blackwatch Bar. Maybe the cocktail was a corporate idea as a way of selling the Galliano liqueur, or maybe there it’s something else…
- 1 ½ Ounce (45 ml) of vodka.
- Orange Juice, freshly squeezed.
- ½ Ounce (15 ml) of Galliano.
- A dash of orange bitters. Optional.
- A teaspoon of lemon juice. Optional.
- Garnish with a slice of orange and maybe a cherry 🙂
How to make the Harvey Wallbanger …
- Fill a highball or a Collins’ glass with ice.
- Add vodka, OJ, and the 2 optional ingredients and stir.
- Galliano goes in last. Slowly pour so it floats on top.
- Garnish and enjoy.