Cosmopolitan cocktail recipe
Cosmopolitan – Legendary cocktail and every girl’s go-to for its sweet taste and sexy pink color. Mix vodka with some orange liqueur, cranberry juice, a bit of lime, and some sugar syrup, pour it into a nice martini glass and there you have it – the gorgeous Cosmopolitan.
According to bartending legend and author Gary Regan – Miami bartender Cheryl Cook came up with the original recipe in 1985. Even tho this cocktail is perceived as more of a modern creation, it’s possible that is actually much older than we think. There is a recipe for a “Cosmopolitan Daisy” in the “Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars 1903-1933”, published in 1934.
For a good decade, the Cosmopolitan may have been the most popular cocktail in America and it reached its height of popularity in the 1990s when the HBO show “Sex and the City” was at its peak.
On the list of IBA Official Cocktails.
- ⅔ of an Ounce (25 ml) of Vodka / Citron Vodka
- ⅔ of an Ounce (25 ml) of Cointreau
- 1 ½ Ounce (about 50 ml) of Cranberry Juice
- ⅔ of an Ounce (25 ml) of fresh lime juice
- ⅔ of an Ounce (25 ml) of Simple Syrup
- Prepare a chilled martini glass
- Add all the ingredients into a shaker
- Fill with ice and shake for 20 seconds
- Strain into your chilled Martini glass
- Garnish with a lime wedge or an orange peel
Cosmo might be a girl’s drink in a fancy cocktail glass, but it was originally a martini until the 90s series “Sex and the City“ made it into a pink girly cocktail that ladies drink at brunch.
Chilled Martini glass and fresh lime are important for the classic signature look and taste.
Don’t forget to fill the shaker with ice and shake it for at least 20 seconds, or until the outside of the shaker gets cold on your hands. It’s the small things that make the drink unique.